About the School
over 2 years ago
The Childersburg High School heritage is stepped in the diversified complexity of those individuals - administrators, faculties, students, and staffs - who have tread the halls, occupied its classrooms, and utilized its facilities. A legacy of tradition, pride, perseverance, success, and accomplishment continues as one facility is bade "farewell" and another - new, shiny and bright - is welcomed with "open arms".
Childersburg High School opened at its previous location in 1922, serving the community as an educational facility for grades one through twelve. Having completed their high school requirements, thirteen members, one male and twelve females, comprised the graduation Class of 1923.
In 1941-1942 an additional building was constructed adjacent to the original one with a driveway between the two. A breezeway later connected these buildings. The newer facility housed grades seven through twelve, and the older one contained elementary grades.
Most of the original building burned on Sunday, December 8, 1957. Displaced classes were moved to churches, public buildings, and the Alabama Ordinance Works, a federal facility located nearby. When the structure was rebuilt, a new lunchroom and classrooms were added to the sections in the original building that had not burned.
In the mid-1950s, additional classrooms were added to a wing of the 1942 building. The construction of two new schools, A.H. Watwood Elementary and Childersburg Elementary, led to the original site becoming a junior high and high school facility. With complete integration of the Talladega County School System in the fall of 1969 and the restructuring of individual grades levels at these schools, Childersburg High School became a facility serving grades nine through twelve.
In 1963 Childersburg High School was the first school in Talladega County to have a separate gym facility. The auditorium had formerly been used for physical education and basketball games. In 1968 the breezeway connecting the two buildings became the site of new office and guidance areas. An addition to the existing library facilities was constructed during this same time frame, and a separate band building was occupied in the fall of 1974.
The groundbreaking ceremony for the new school was held June 16, 1997, on property adjacent to Childersburg Middle School, and construction began on September 2. The facility was occupied January 19, 1999.
Written by Judy McSween, retired History Teacher at Childersburg High School, and published in the 1999 Tiger Tracks Yearbook
2016 School Innovation and Change Award Winners
11 months ago
By Brittanni Brown
NPLI - SICA Winners
Childersburg High School was named by the National Principals Leadership Institute, NPLI, one of only five schools in the nation for the School Innovation and Change Awards, SICA.